We’ve spoken at length in previous articles about legal terms and terms that a personal injury lawyer would use in the court of law. Below are five common personal injury legal terms that you should know if you ever find yourself in this unfortunate situation.
- Damages: any harm or injuries, mental or physical, caused by an accident. There are 2 types of damages: economic and non-economic. An example of an economic damage is lost wages due to missing work. An example of a non-economic damage is mental anguish caused by an accident.
- Negligence: a standard of care that people are held to by law and society. When this standard is compromised, and an injury takes place, this is negligence. A good example is in a car accident, when the other driver and/or you behaves negligently.
- Personal Injury: this is as simple as it sounds, but the one thing to remember is that it’s an injury that is to a person’s mind or body, not property.
- Tort: when negligent or inappropriate behavior leads to damages to a person.
- Deposition: an interview under oath, outside of the courtroom and transcribed by a court reporter.
Knowledge is power. When it comes to your best interest, the help of personal injury lawyer will get you the settlement that you deserve.
1LAW is an affordable, transparent law firm in a time when it’s difficult to differentiate between different firms’ abilities, strengths and weaknesses. We are committed as the voice of our clients when faced with difficult life situations, and provide a tailored fit approach to each individual or entity. The need for a lawyer is often disconcerting, but 1LAW strives to efficiently and affordably provide the best legal support possible.